Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2019

Only Dozier would wear a shirt with a picture of his shirtless celebration - NBCSports.com

Baseball returned to Washington in 2005 after a 33-year absence and it has taken just 15 years for the memories to pile up. 

We took to Twitter on Friday morning as Nationals fans waited patiently for the start of the first World Series game in the District since 1933. It was a long day. But even if the result was a disappointment after a 4-1 loss to the Houston Astros, for one day at least fans were happy to share their favorite Nationals moments. 

Wading through hundreds of responses, we picked a few of the best. Thanks to everyone who shared what baseball has meant to them since it returned to the city. 

For many folks, the very first game was the one they cherished. April 14, 2005 at RFK Stadium. President George W. Bush was in attendance. Baseball was back. 

@dansp81

It was simply being at the very first game at RFK in '05. Very last row, just up the 3rd base side from home plate. I wasn't even a year old the last time there had been a big league team in DC. It was surreal. Been hooked from that moment.

@polarjoe59

Went to the inaugural game at RFK with my Dad and then again with my dad to the nationals park opener when zim hit the walkoff. Just incredible.

RFK and Nationals Park have apparently always been good places to find a significant other. We know happy hour at the Red Loft is a great place to mingle, but the Nationals have apparently been responsible for a decent number of relationships – and maybe a few that crashed and burned. 

@CheeseTweeted22

I went to Adam Dunn’s 3 homer game. I was also once a date with a girl who was a Braves fan. someone stole 2nd and Ramos overthrew Desmond and they advanced to 3rd and scored on the next play. Nats lost. I kicked over a trashcan. The girl I was with never called me back.

@rbrtmrtn

Got married in LA on whim and was seeing the Nats day before@Dodgers, would turn out to be my bachelor party I guess. Game went 18 innings and LaRoche came off of sick bed to win it, hobbling the bases. Found the lineup card to the game at nats park a few years later & teared up

@JohnFitzDC

My best Nats story, besides getting married at Nats Park (to a Dodgers fan), would be attending the dc earthquake game without a ticket. We went on a whim, walked up to gate, ticket taker gave us two club seats. In we went. Later grabbed a foul ball hit into our empty section.

Few things brings families together like baseball, though. Following your favorite team year after year creates memories that never fade. Is it getting a little dusty in here? 

FAMILY

@Meixler

2011: My father was in poor shape and nearing the end of his life. We had cheap seat tickets and he insisted we still go. Stadium workers saw us having a hard time getting up the stands and moved our seats. It meant a lot and turned into one of my last memories with dad. #GoNats

@CapsCrazSchu

Last game I went to at Nats field was Father’s Day 2012 vs Yankees. We lost but I’ll never forget it. My dad passed a year later. We had a lot of fun.

@BillMcVay

Fathers Day 2015, Took my dad to a game and it turned out to be the Max Scherzer no hitter that was one out from being a perfect game until Jose Tabata leaned his elbow in to get HBP. A letdown no-hitter. Dad wore his UVA Nats hat I wore my VT Nats hat.

@carlosdelvaca

Took my mom to an O's-Nats game in 2008. O's got a run in the top of the 12th. In the bottom half, Da Meat Hook walked with two outs to bring up Ronnie Belliard. "If he hits a home run, we win," she observed. Sure, Ma, that'll happen. AND THEN HE DID IT

@bcgio

One of my boys met Harper while he was rehabbing his wrist and got a Trey Turner foul ball at a P-Nats game that both Turner and Werth were playing in!

Then there are specific games that stick with you over the years – dramatic playoff wins or NL East clinchers. But sometimes even the most random games provide moments of sheer unexpected joy. The place might have been half full that day, but years later EVERYONE claims they were there. 

@BillMcGrath417

Father's Day 2007 ... Yankees at Nats at RFK ... Zimmerman wins it with a no-doubt-about-it homer ... First walk-off home run I've seen in person in almost 30 years

@boteball

Strasburg's first Spring Training start in Viera. He was long-tossing in RF before the game while at least 300 reporters and fans overflowed that far end of the bleachers. I thought the stands might collapse under their combined mass.

@MilesTreacy

2010 game. Phillies in town and they bussed down so many fans. The whole night they controlled the stadium and let us know, until Zimm hit a walk off bomb off of lidge. It was fantastic watching them load the bus back to philly on the way out.

@matluvsthenats

Jordan Zimmerman’s no hitter, 2014 — I remember the thrill of hearing the entire stadium gasp all at once when that last batter hit that ball... and then a brief instant of complete silence in the Park before Sousa made that catch. And then, deafening noise and complete joy.

@Jake_Cantor

Being at Max’s 20 strikeout game was absolutely electric. It’s always exciting to see him pitch, but you could tell something awesome was going to happen that night during the first inning.

@ricsanchez

I was at Juan’s first start. On a whim, I decided to record his first AB that day, which was his first hit... which was his first homer... which led to his first curtain call.

@_SoundtheHorne

I was in attendance for Max's 300th strikeout. The anticipation was amazing. Crowd swell with each 2-strike count. And I think everyone sort of feared for Davey's life if he took one step out of that dugout lol. Nothing was stopping Scherzer that night. Such an awesome moment.

@likethemaps

2006, September Sunday. Ramon Ortiz carries a no-goddamn-hitter into the ninth against the Cardinals. Gave up a single right away but then Peak Albert Pujols hit a ball that still hasn’t landed

@tom4tomorrow

Matt Chico’s MLB debut & I’m riding Metro to RFK. I help some people navigate Metro & they end up sitting next to me — they are Matt Chico’s family and friends. Incredibly nice people & cool to share the day with them. Chico pitched well, no decision & Nats won in the 9th

Baseball is great that way. But sometimes a day at the ballpark isn’t always about the game at all. Sometimes other things happen. Random things. Questionable things. Not always legal. Not always cool. 

@thedccrossover

middle school, game at RFK. At Chicken Tender stand with friend, the guy making the tenders told us he would give us 2 for $15 instead of 2 for $25, but we needed to put the money under the cloth rag he put on the counter so no one would see. We did, he handed it over, best day.

@RobVander

Was at RFK in 2006? We were getting crushed. Top of the 9th. I tell my boy let’s get a start on traffic. We start to leave. Crack of the bat, whole crowd in my sec stands up. Ball rolls to me. I grab it. There’s a 5 year old kid in full uni, eyeblack, and glove

I look at him, up at the Jumbotron (I’m on it) back at the kid, back at the Jumbotron. I say “life’s too short kid” and I leave. I got booed out of the stadium

@jfoneil22

I was sitting behind the Nats’ dugout c. 2006 with my parents. Ryan Langerhans struck out in a big spot (again) and I shout “YOU ARE A BUM!” My mom slaps my arm and shouts “that is NOT NICE”. RFK was empty that afternoon, the dugout heard it and erupted in laughter at my expense

Maybe you grew up going to Griffith Stadium watching the original version of the Senators or at RFK watching the second. Maybe you moved to D.C. for your first job after graduation and the Nats gave you something to grab onto in your new home. Maybe you moved here years ago and only rediscovered baseball because a new team came to town. Maybe you grew up in the D.C. area and waited your entire life for a team of your very own. However it happened, you became a fan and this weekend, with the World Series in your city, is a dream come true. 

@larcheezy

I was in 7th grade in 2006 and the whole school went to some day game in May. First season of Nationals Park and I just remember the atmosphere being so cool. We finally had a baseball team and while we were good, they were our team.

@MatthewHarmon33

From Oklahoma. 11 years old and my first ML game was at Nats Park in 2011 vs the Florida Marlins. J-Zimmerman got ROCKED that night and they lost by 10 lol. Been to ball parks all over, and I still get chills in DC. And that’s how I became a Nats fan.

MORE NATIONALS NEWS:

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"wear" - Google News
October 26, 2019 at 02:36PM
https://ift.tt/32LzbEZ

Only Dozier would wear a shirt with a picture of his shirtless celebration - NBCSports.com
"wear" - Google News
https://ift.tt/35NDscS
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update

No comments:

Post a Comment