Pages

Friday, December 20, 2019

Why This Star Wars Actor Is Choosing to Wear All-Asian Designers on the Red Carpet - Vogue

When Kelly Marie Tran began planning her press tour for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, one goal came to mind: using her platform for good. The actress, who reprises her role as Rose Tico in the grand finale of the most recent Star Wars trilogy, knew that she’d be traversing the globe to promote the project. But the visibility of the year’s most anticipated film offered her a unique opportunity; with press dates, photo ops, and premieres on her schedule, Tran and her wardrobe would be firmly in the spotlight. The daughter of Vietnamese immigrants who grew up in San Diego, she felt it was important to celebrate the creativity of fashion designers of Asian descent. “The idea that we could showcase the work of these incredible designers with the megaphone that is Star Wars was appealing to me,” shares Tran over the phone from London. “I’m grateful to my stylists that we were able to make it all happen.”

To bring the concept to fruition, Tran worked with stylists Wayman Bannerman and Micah McDonald on cultivating an overarching look that was equally informed by her preference for unabashed glamour. Designers like Jason Wu, Prabal Gurung, and ADEAM’s Hanako Maeda were enlisted for one-of-a-kind custom pieces and runway selects. The styling duo, who she considers her fashion mentors, have worked with Tran from the beginning of her career—but the process of pulling looks for her current spate of events was something a little more special. “Kelly is an advocate for diversity within everything she does. She wants to see people of color shine and have their moment, so before this tour began she, Micah, and I had a conversation about how we could use this Star Wars platform for that,” says Bannerman. “We instantly realized what a great idea this was and started making a list of designers we could reach out to.” After compiling a lineup that included Derek Lam, Self-Portrait’s Han Chong, Bibhu Mohapatra, and more, they set out to align each look with Tran’s personal preferences. “She likes sleek lines, rich fabrics, and anything with a cool nuance to it,” says McDonald. “If something is just a little quirky or off the beaten path, she’ll gravitate towards it.”

These meaningful choices represent an evolution within her wardrobe. Her first experience promoting a film on the scale of Star Wars came with 2017’s The Last Jedi: With countless interviews, photo-ops, and fan meet and greets to dress for, she was instantly immersed in fashion, but still felt uncertain about what suited her. On paper, the multiple outfit changes that typify tours may seem fun, but the reality of developing your taste with the whole world watching is a different story. “[At that time] I didn’t know, I was just someone trying to get by in the world, and I didn’t have the money to figure out what I was wearing before I became a working actor, and so going into that process I was terrified,” says Tran. “If you look at my evolution from The Last Jedi press tour to this one, I feel like I’m finally learning what my style is.” The sentiment was echoed by Bannerman and McDonald, who have seen her develop from ingenue to confident young woman. “We always talk about how much she’s evolved. When we first started working with her, she wanted things that were understated and low heels—now, she lives a whole press day in a Louboutin [120mm] So Kate,” says McDonald. “It’s so fun to see how she’s just come into her own; she’s exuding confidence, glamour, and beauty. She’s always been that way, but now she’s no holds barred and truly owning it.”

This newfound confidence is visible in Tran’s red carpet presence. The sparkling navy Jason Wu gown she wore for last week’s world premiere in Los Angeles required conviction, and Tran brought an Old Hollywood sensibility to the sleek look that underscored its glamour. “That was probably the most beautiful gown I’ve ever worn in my life. I was telling my friends, ‘I never need to get married because I’m not beating this,’” she says. “I feel like that gown perfectly encapsulated so many elements. The hand-sewn sequins, the beautiful navy color, it gave you the feel of the galaxy.” While her take on sci-fi style isn’t always so literal, Tran has enjoyed alluding to the themes of the franchise through clothing. “For the London premiere, we were going for a dark side look,” she says of the striking crimson halter neck creation by Vietnamese designer, Phuong My. “I did not try on a single other gown—the second I put it on, I knew that it was something that I wanted to wear.”

Much like Issa Rae, who wore black-owned and designed labels for her stint hosting the CFDA Awards in 2018, or Tracee Ellis Ross who did the same at the American Music Awards later that same year, the power of Tran’s theme lies with its focus on overlooked talent. Every designer or brand featured was chosen because they bring something unique to the table. “It’s not just that they’re Asian, it’s also that they’re incredible artists,” says Tran. “I think it’s wonderful when you can tie fashion to a message. If I can say something by choosing specific designers and acknowledging their creativity, [while] also acknowledging their heritage and where I’m from, it’s a beautiful thing.”

It’s through understanding her power to influence that Tran has fully realized her fashion potential. Now drawn to bold colors and silhouettes that flatter her curvaceous figure, she’s been able to approach style—and her position in the spotlight—with pride. “I truly believe that confidence comes from inside of you. I had to do a lot of work on myself before I felt the confidence to wear pieces that were flashier or that were more dramatic and would bring more attention to me,” she says. “Once I did the work, and understood as a person, ‘I deserve to be here, and I’ve earned my way here with blood, sweat and tears,’ everything changed.”

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"wear" - Google News
December 20, 2019 at 03:22PM
https://ift.tt/2Z9DDwl

Why This Star Wars Actor Is Choosing to Wear All-Asian Designers on the Red Carpet - Vogue
"wear" - Google News
https://ift.tt/35NDscS
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update

No comments:

Post a Comment