Pages

Saturday, February 8, 2020

Firefighter reflects back on medical emergency on Wear Red Day - WBNG-TV

ENDICOTT (WBNG) -- Debbie Grinell has been with the West Corners Fire Department as a firefighter and former EMT for 10 years.

She says she's seen a lot, but no amount of medical training could have prepared her for what she faced in 2016.

"I'm used to taking care of other people, this couldn't happen to me, but it does," said Debbie.

One day, she says something just didn't feel right.

"I looked in the mirror and saw myself get that gray-ish color everyone talks about, and I thought, 'You know what, I might be having a heart attack,'" said Debbie.

As a trained EMT, she jumped right into action, calling an ambulance to take her to the closest hospital.

"Probably about 35 to 45 minutes later, I was in full arrest. They started CPR, gave me two shocks, and brought me back," she described.

A woman devoted to saving lives, now on the other side of her own medical emergency.

"I was down for two minutes. I believe it's after three to seven minutes your brain starts to die," said Debbie.

Her family says she's a fighter, and according to Debbie, she still has a lot of life to live.

"God said, I'm going to get you noticed, time to wake up. He's not done with me yet, that's hwy I'm still here. There's something out there for me to continue doing, and until that point, I'm going to continue to do what I have to do," said Debbie.

Now, she's using her story to encourage others to lead a long, healthy life.

"I know what happens, I know what can happen. You don't expect it to happen to you, but when it does, you have a whole new look on life. It's like, this is it, it happened to me, it can happen to anybody. Don't think, 'This can't happen to me,' yes, it can," said Debbie.

Debbie still serves as a West Corners volunteer firefighter and she says she will continue to do so as long as she can.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"wear" - Google News
February 07, 2020 at 08:40PM
https://ift.tt/3bleFjd

Firefighter reflects back on medical emergency on Wear Red Day - WBNG-TV
"wear" - Google News
https://ift.tt/35NDscS
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update

No comments:

Post a Comment